RAM CUON CAI – FRIED SPRING ROLLS WITH CABBAGE LEAVES
While visiting Da Nang, you should not miss out on “ram cuon cai” – a dish that strikes a perfect balance between the heartiness of a main course and the crispness of a satisfying snack. It is a great choice for those seeking a substantial meal or a casual treat, and it is also a top recommended choice for those keen on exploring the culinary heritage of Central Vietnam in general and Da Nang in particular.
Ram – A distinctive delight from Central Vietnam
Ram is a signature dish in Central Vietnam, akin to the Northern “nem” and Southern “cha gio” (other types of fried spring rolls). However, it is slightly different in shape and fillings. Regarding the shape, ram is typically shorter and slimmer, about the size of an adult’s finger. What sets ram apart is its enduring crispness, which is able to maintain its crunch without the heavy oiliness often associated with larger versions. Depending on your taste preferences, you have a range of ram varieties to explore:
- Meat ram: The main ingredients consist of vermicelli and shredded wood ear mushrooms marinated with a blend of spices for a perfect balance of flavors.
- Corn ram: The main ingredient is tender young corn, seasoned and carefully prepared to bring out its rich taste and offer a crispy, buttery bite that’s both flavorful and satisfying. While it may seem simple, perfecting corn ram is a culinary art, as its deliciousness heavily relies on selecting the right corn to ensure it is tender, juicy, and aromatic.
- Vegetarian ram: This is an excellent choice for travelers with special dietary preferences. The filling for vegetarian ram is primarily made from sweet potatoes, potatoes, and carrots and local seasonings.
- Shrimp ram: The main ingredient is fresh shrimp, which tends to be sweet and aromatic, making it a delightful treat.
In Da Nang, ram is typically served with bitter greens and fish sauce. When you take that first bite, pause for a moment and savor the experience. The harmonious combination of crispy ram, the creamy sweetness of the filling, the pleasant bitterness of the greens, and the spicy-salty allure of the fish sauce will create an addictively delightful sensation.
Moreover, you can savor ram in Da Nang’s unique “wrapping” style. Most eateries provide ram with rice paper, accompanied by a selection of fresh, crisp greens, tangy pickled vegetables, and slices of bananas. Wrapping it all together adds an extra layer of freshness and balance to this delightful dish.
Top 6 addresses to enjoy ram cuon cai in Da Nang
- Ram cuon cai Dao Duy Tu
- Address: 14 Dao Duy Tu, Vinh Trung, Thanh Khe, Da Nang
- Price range: Average 30,000 VND per person
- Opening hours: 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Ram cuon cai Tran Thi Ly
- Address: Under Tran Thi Ly Bridge, Son Tra, Da Nang
- Price range: 10,000 – 30,000 VND per person
- Opening hours: 3:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Ram bap Quang Ngai Quan
- Address: 33 Phan Tu, Bac My An, Ngu Hanh Son, Da Nang
- Price: 15,000 VND per person
- Opening hours: 10:00 AM – 1:00 AM
- Ram cuon cai Viet
- Address: 337 Hai Phong, Tan Chinh, Hai Chau, Da Nang
- Price range: 15,000 – 30,000 VND per person
- Opening hours: 10:30 AM – 8:00 PM
- Dora’s Food
- Address: 49 Ha Huy Giap Street, Hai Chau District, Da Nang
- Price range: 5,000 – 30,000 VND
- Opening hours: 10:30 AM – 10:00 PM
- Ram Da Nang Coco Food
- Address: 84/8 Nguyen Phong Sac Street, Cam Le District, Da Nang
- Price range: 15,000 – 30,000 VND
- Opening hours: 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
May your time in Da Nang be filled with unforgettable memories and flavors as well!
Da Nang International Terminal
Address: Da Nang International Airport, Hoa Thuan Tay ward, Hai Chau district, Da Nang city, Viet Nam
Phone: +84 (236) 381 7878
Follow us to explore more!
Digital Guidebook: https://explore.danangairportterminal.vn